All Hands on Deck
|All Hands on Deck|
|Outcomes & Rewards|
Return the chest, but refuse payment
Return the chest, tell him to be more careful
Return the chest, pressure him into good reward
Open and keep the contents of the chest
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
A sailor by the name of Marceno in Ondra's Gift has lapsed in his sentry duties and allowed a group of thugs to make off with his captain's prize chest. Fearing retribution from his captain, he asks the Watcher to track it down. His Captain "Hangsman" Fortanero has the reputation of having a short fuse, hanging people who fail him from the masts of his ship.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- Start the quest by talking to Marceno in the southwest corner of Ondra's Gift (on a pier near a ship). He will ask you to recover his captain's stolen chest.
- The chest and the gang that stole it are located in the easternmost part of Ondra's Gift, on the quay to the south-east of The Salty Mast. You'll find the gang, led by Waldr "Three Fingers" and "Lefty" Lisc, currently trying to open the chest.
- Since they don't want any witnesses a fight breaks out. (Can't be avoided.)
- Having defeated the thugs, either open the chest (Mechanics 3 or more) or to pick it up without opening it.
- Head back and talk to Marceno...
- Give Marceno the chest intact or at least with the contents left inside (he trusts you with Honest 2 or Benevolent 2):
- Refuse the money, and receive Drinking Horn of Moderation.
- Accept the money, and receive 300 .
- Accept the money, but say you did save his life. Receive both the Drinking Horn of Moderation and 300 , but gain less reputation.
- If you took the chest's contents, these extra options will be available:
- Take the contents for yourself and lie to Marceno. He will comment that the chest is light, but will still give you a full reward, same as above.
- State that you opened the chest, but return the contents anyway. You will still get the same full reward as if you hadn't opened the chest.
- Openly state that you stole the rapier and hat and refuse to give them back. This will result in Minor Negative reputation with Defiance Bay. (There is no benefit to this option.)
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Mechanics check for opening the chest is handled through a dialogue window, thus only The Watcher can open the chest; it will not matter if anyone else in your party has sufficient mechanics.
- If you tricked Marceno by giving him an empty chest and return at a later date, you can find his corpse hanging from the nearby ship. You sealed his fate. If you however opened the stolen chest without actually taking anything from it and return it to him or give him the contents of the chest back, he'll be just fine.
- The hat and rapier obtained by opening the chest are unusable quest items, and will only be exchanged for their equippable counterparts once you return to Marceno.
Role-playing tips[edit | edit source]
- During night time, you can ask the black market dealer Curnd if he's seen anyone carrying a wooden chest around. For a fee of 200 he will sell out the thugs.
- If you ask Imatl whether he's seen anyone come this way carrying a large chest, he points to the east.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Fortanero's Key would likely have been used as an option to open the chest, though it seems to have been cut from the game for unknown reasons, possibly to reduce quest complexity.
Journal[edit | edit source]
|0||All Hands on Deck|
|10000||While exploring Ondra's Gift, I've discovered that a sea chest has been stolen from one of the ships docked at the pier.|
|3||Find Marceno's missing crate.|
|10003||Marceno, a young sailor, has confided in me that Captain Fortanero's sea chest was stolen whilst he was distracted. Fortunately for Marceno, his captain is enjoying himself on shore, and has yet to hear of the incident. Marceno has pleaded with me to find this chest before the captain returns. It is unlikely they've made it out of Ondra's Gift yet, I should start my search here.|
|20001||I appear to have located the thieves. I'll have to deal with them if I am to recover the chest.|
|28||Return to Marceno.|
|10028||I located the chest that was stolen from Marceno's ship. He'll be happy to learn that I've located and dealt with the thieves who took it.|
|20002||I have opened the chest to find that Captain Fortanero's 'prized possessions' consist of his captain's hat and rapier.|
|32||Defeat Waldr and his band.|
|10032||The thieves who stole the chest Marceno was supposed to be looking after aren't going to give it up without a fight.|
|20003||With the thieves dead I can collect the chest.|
|-||30000||Marceno was very happy to learn that I'd recovered the chest with its contents intact. I'm sure he'll keep a better eye on it from now on.|
|30004||I dealt with the thieves responsible for the theft of Fortanero's sea chest, and let Marceno know where it could be found. He was very grateful. Looks like things should work out for him.|
|Returned Sea Chest|
|30002||I returned the stolen sea chest to a very grateful Marceno.|
|Returned Chest But Not Contents|
|30003||I gave Marceno his chest back but kept the hat and sword inside it. His Captain will probably be very upset when he finds out.|
|30007||Marceno is dead and cannot reward me for finding the chest.|
|Kept Hat and Rapier|
|30010||I told Marceno I was keeping the Captain's hat and rapier. He ran off to flee the Captain's vengeance, leaving me to enjoy my new hat.|
|30011||Someone critically important to this quest has died.|