An Honored Guest
|An Honored Guest [BW]|
|File:BOW An Honored Guest.png|
The Dead Floe
|Outcomes & Rewards|
Complete the quest
To Rise and Decline
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
High Harbinger Vatnir, leader of a Rymrgand cult out in The Dead Floe, has invited the Watcher to a feast in their honor, so that they may honor Rymrgand impending dominion over Eora. The Watcher decides to come.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
- The quest is activated by the wax-sealed letter that's automatically delivered to you once on the world map. If you've just started the game, this occurs after finishing Stranded upon leaving Vilario's Rest on your ship.
- To begin, simply head south-east, past the Windless Waste, to the newly-marked Harbinger's Watch. After a run-in with an excited Harbinger, proceed to Harbingers' Retreat in the center of the map.
- Inside, you are greeted by Harbinger Valbrendhür, who gives out a free set of Harbinger robes. Your goal, Vatnir, is in the northwest. He will introduce you as the Duskspeaker, allowing you to react in a variety of ways, including a special option for Clergy with Deception 8.
- Then he will proceed by listing your accomplishments, including a rather, uh, skewed view of the events of Pillars of Eternity, up to and including pinning the Hollowborn curse on the Watcher. Perfect. You can reply with a special option, Religion 15, or just go ahead and skip to the feast. Except there shall be no feast, as something called The Messenger appears in the Watch, leading to Vatnir's cultists tripping over each other on the way out the door.
- Exit the temple after this peculiar introduction to be introduced to an even more interesting character: A dracolich. After several strafing runs over the village, killing a dozen or so Harbingers - much to their delight - the dragon will land and await your approach. Due to its state, the dragon can't speak - or doesn't want to - and will attack after a short exchange. After dispatching it, head back into the Retreat.
- Vatnir can be found cowering in his secret room, accessed through his quarters and a hidden switch in the skull. After talking to him, you'll learn that Vatnir basically invented the Messenger as a way to explain the dragon's raids on the Watch - and isn't actually the fanatical zealot he appears to be. He will suggest looking for answers in the The Rimebound Temple, which the Dead Floe grew around. You can obtain Vatnir as a companion with 12 Deception, 9 Streetwise, 11 Religion or 11 Metaphysics, or tell him that he has to set things right. Either way, Harbinger Hafjórn will appear, and after exchanging a couple of perplexed lines with Vatnir, get an untimely promotion to deputy High Harbinger.
Journal[edit | edit source]
|0||An Honored Guest|
|10000||A letter sealed with the symbol of the god Rymrgand arrived for me. I should read it.|
|40001||A group called the Harbingers of Dusk have invited me to a feast in my honor at Harbingers' Watch in the Dead Floe.|
|1||Read the wax-sealed letter.|
|10001||A messenger delivered a leather scroll sealed with the emblem of the aurochs to my ship. I should read it when I have a chance.|
|2||Journey to Harbingers' Watch.|
|10002||A group calling themselves the Harbingers of Dusk have invited me to attend a feast in my honor. I don't know who they are or exactly what they're celebrating me for.
If I'm to find out, I must travel to Harbingers' Watch, the group's outpost at the Dead Floe - an expanding iceberg in the southern seas.
|3||Speak with Vatnir.|
|10003||I've been informed that Vatnir, leader of the Harbingers of Dusk, can often be found preaching in a chapel located inside the settlement's central building. He should know why I've been summoned here.|
|4||Investigate the disturbance outside.|
|10004||Vatnir's sermon on my role in the end of the world and death of all things was interrupted by a loud commotion outside. The Harbingers were strangely elated by the noise. I should find out what's going on.|
|5||Find Vatnir in Harbingers' Retreat.|
|10005||Vatnir never made it outside. Now that I've slain the Harbingers' messenger - a decaying dragon - I should find the godlike and ask him what's going on.|
|20000||Vatnir is no longer in the sanctuary, but since I didn't see him outside, he must still be within Harbingers' Retreat.|
|30000||I exposed Vatnir to the Harbingers as a fraud. He fled, but not before mentioning a temple deep within the iceberg - a temple containing a tear in the fabric of reality that could serve as an entrance to the White Void.|
|30001||Vatnir told me of a temple frozen deep within the iceberg. Supposedly this temple contains a tear in the fabric of reality - an entrance to the White Void.|
|30002||I killed Vatnir. With his dying breath, he mentioned a temple within the iceberg containing a tear in the fabric of reality - an entrance to the White Void.|