This article or section is based on pre-release information about upcoming content. The covered facts may change, when the content is released.
Additionally it may contain significant plot details about earlier games.
Avowed is an upcoming first-person fantasy role-playing video game developed by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Xbox Game Studios. It was revealed at the Xbox Games Showcase on July 24, 2020, and is set to be released on Xbox Series X/S, Xbox Game Pass, and Microsoft Windows.
|“||Is an oath worth the weight of a crown?||”|
|~ Trailer tagline
The deity Woedica (the Exiled Queen, the Oathbinder) is prominently featured, being one of the most commonly worshiped gods in the Aedyr Empire. Effigies to Galawain, the patron of the hunt and the wilderness are also shown in the trailer, and Aedyran symbols are used throughout.
The game has "role-playing" elements, and uses a first-person perspective with a focus on real-time combat using both traditional melee weapons and casted magical spells.
Obsidian posted a number of job listings in late September 2019, seeking applicants for range of roles including artists, programmers, and game designers. Some of the listings mention "combat with an emphasis on an exceptional first-person melee experience", "combat actions utilizing both first and third person animations", "branching dialogue", "conversations and cut scenes", and "day/night cycles". Several jobs mentioned "experience with Unreal Engine" as a requirement. Development on Obsidian's The Outer Worlds, another first-person title was wrapping up before its release in October 2019, suggesting work was ramping on a new title at this time.
After the reveal trailer for Avowed was released, Josh Sawyer - the lead designer for Pillars of Eternity and Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - said that he would not be involved in its development, though he said he would be giving advisory feedback on the project as the studio's design director.
The game is still in full production, with no officially announced release window.
- 0:14 Symbols to Woedica.
- 0:25 Statue of Galawain.
- 0:52 Aedyran symbols on sword, spelling "OATHBINDER" from top to bottom on left, and the reverse on the right, a reference to the deity Woedica, sometimes referred to as "the Oathbinder".
- Obsidian Entertainment [@obsidian] (July 24, 2020) "Avowed Obsidian Entertainment's next epic, first-person RPG set in the fantasy world of Eora." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Introducing the Largest, Most Creatively Diverse Games Lineup in Console History, Led by Halo Infinite" - Xbox Wire
- Obsidian Announces Two Titles and Preps Release of a Third at Xbox Games Showcase - Xbox Wire
- Avowed | Xbox
- Job listing Obsidian Entertainment - LinkedIn (Current)
- Obsidian are hiring staff for their "next world class RPG" - PC Gamer (September 23, 2019)
- Josh Sawyer [@jesawyer] (July 24, 2020) "No, sorry." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Frog Helms Fan Club — Do you have any involvement on Avowed? I was...
- Frog Helms Fan Club — I'm sure everyone is dying to know; could you tell...
- Frog Helms Fan Club — Hi Josh, I'm a big fan of PoE I and PoE II, I was...