Tawenu wishes to renegotiate the Duape tribe's contract with the Vailian Trading Company. The deal will legally pass ownership of their lands to Vailian control upon the death of their ailing chieftain. Tawenu has had little luck navigating the trading company's bureaucracy.
Since he was thrown out of the office, he asked the Watcher to intervene on his behalf. I can start by speaking with Luca inside the Vailian Trading Company offices.
After talking to the poor Huana outside, head inside and talk to Luca. He will reiterate that the contract is lawful and add that Tawenu should consider himself lucky all he lost was the forged contract.
At this point, you can choose to either side with Tawenu or Luca.
- Side with Tawenu
- Negotiate with Luca in his office.
- Streetwise 4 - Threaten him with making a mess of his job by telling everyone how the company conducts itself for a bribe of 1,100. Though this won't solve the problem.
- Diplomacy 5 - Point out that such a strategy will only drive the Huana into the arms of the RDC, then follow with Diplomacy 4 or a threat as described below. After all, something you never had can't be a loss. This will result in nullifying the contract.
- Intimidate 4 - Threaten Luca that you don't have time to solve this politely. Then:
- Steal the Forged Contract from Luca's chest (locked, difficulty 8). You can pickpocket the key from Luca. Then replace the real contract with the forgery. The real contract is in the shelves next to the stairs up. You can easily sneak past the clerk watching the area. Go back to Luca once you finished the trick.
- It is also possible with the right skills(History or Slight of hand) to edit the original contract to be in favor of Tawenu.
- If nothing works, meet Luca in The Wild Mare at night. Being a little drunk and unguarded, he is more agreeable to a bribe or persuasion.
- Return to Tawenu.
- "Thank you. I'll accept whatever payment you have to offer." - Receive payment in gems (2× Emerald, 1× Mother of Pearl). Moderate Positive reputation with the Huana.
- "No charge." - No payment, Moderate Positive reputation with the Huana, Dutiful.
- "Hold on to it. Teaching the Vailian Trading Company a lesson was well worth the effort." - No payment, Minor Negative reputation with the Vailian Trading Company, Moderate Positive reputation with the Huana.
- "Seashells from the natives. Isn't this... quaint." - Gems, Minor Negative and Moderate Positive reputation with the Huana.
- "This is all? I assume you paid for food in Neketaka. Give me whatever you have left." - Gems, 45, Minor Negative and Moderate Positive reputation with the Huana.
- Later on, you'll witness as Luca got fired in his office. Talk to him to recruit him to work on your ship.
- Side with Luca
- Tell Tawenu that you're on Luca's side. You'll lose Minor reputation with the Huana and gain Minor reputation with the Vailian Trading Company.
- Return to Luca to get 1,700.
|0||Coming to Terms|
|10000||Tawenu wishes to renegotiate the Duape tribe's contract with the Vailian Trading Company. The deal will legally pass ownership of their lands to Vailian control upon the death of their ailing chieftain.|
|1||Talk to Luca.|
|10001||Tawenu has had little luck navigating the trading company's bureaucracy.
Since he was thrown out of the office, he asked me to intervene on his behalf. I can start by speaking with Luca inside the Vailian Trading Company offices.
|2||Return to Luca.|
|10002||Tawenu is dead. Hopefully that solves Luca's problem.|
|3||Convince the Vailian Trading Company to nullify the contract.|
|10003||Luca insists that the contract with the Duape tribe is perfectly valid. I'll have to find some way to convince him otherwise.|
|20000||Luca wants me to convince Tawenu to leave well enough alone. Now it's a question of which of them is in the right.|
|20001||It seems that Luca has a penchant for heavy drinking. I wonder if I can use that to my advantage.|
|20002||I've acquired Luca's key.|
|20003||I've replaced the original contract. Let's see if that moves negotiations forward.|
|20004||I've made changes to the original contract. Hopefully the new terms are convincing.|
|20005||Apparently Tawenu presented Luca with a forged contract.|
|20006||Luca keeps the Duape's original contract in the Archives Room of the Vailian Trading Company headquarters. The building is diligently guarded.|
|20007||Luca frequents the local tavern after hours. I might catch him there and loosen his tongue.|
|20008||Luca confiscated Tawenu's forged contract and locked it away in his chest.|
|4||Return to Luca.|
|10004||I convinced Tawenu to leave. Luca should be relieved.|
|5||Return to Tawenu.|
|10005||I was able to secure the Duape's rights to their lands. Tawenu should be pleased.|
|6||Return to Tawenu.|
|10006||Luca has been killed. That puts an end to any hope of a legal solution to this matter.|
|30000||Someone critical to this quest has been killed.|
|30001||I was able to come to terms with the clerk. Tawenu was overjoyed to know that his tribal lands were safe.|
|30002||I tried removing the villager's problem in the most efficient way possible. He didn't appreciate it.|
|30003||I got rid of the villager on the clerk's behalf and was paid for my trouble.|
|30005||I was able to get Tawenu's tribe out of trouble. He was overjoyed to know that his tribal lands were safe.|