The Devil of Caroc is a bronze golem inhabited by the soul of a convicted murderer. She's ruthless and relentless, yet something about the player piques her interest when they first meet.
The Devil was once a trapper in Cold Morn, a village that became notorious for its role in the Saint's War. When she and her neighbors let the Readceran troops pass through town unopposed, they became a symbol of treachery and cowardice throughout Dyrwood. The Purges that swept the country began in Cold Morn and the Devil's family perished when an angry mob burned the village to the ground. The Devil escaped, suffering severe burns that left her scarred. Afterwards, she began hunting down those who participated in the purge of her village, committing over a dozen murders by burning them alive in their own homes, starting with the small village of Caroc. Her hunt eventually led her to Stalwart Village in 2813 AI, where she was eventually apprehended and locked away to await execution.
However, a Vailian Animancer named Galvino bribed the mayor so that he could use the Devil in his experiments. This saved the Devil from a stoning death, but condemned her to an existence trapped inside an unfeeling bronze body. Worse, she became an outcast together with Galvino when the people of Stalwart learned of the deal and ran them all out of town, destroying Galvino's lab and equipment in the process. The Devil of Caroc ended up staying with Galvino out of necessity; he was the only person capable of the maintenance her body required to keep her functioning, plus she'd rather not succumb to the elements or the hunting parties from Stalwart.
The years passing by have not eroded her, however: She's still a rustic at heart, but her crude manners belie cunning and a cynical sense of humor.
|This character is involved in quests.|
- The Devil of Caroc becomes available when you complete the Recluse of the White March and requires either paying Galvino or using Perception 12 to play on the animancer's pride to gain her. Another choice is to kill Galvino, after which you can talk directly to her.
- The One That Got Away: The Devil of Caroc's companion quest starts when you visit Stalwart Village with her in the party and talk to her.
- Lair of the Eyeless: The Devil doesn't need to breathe and doesn't care about the cold, making her the perfect choice to strike the crystal.
- +1 Might (Subrace: Advanced Construct - via Living Machine)
- +1 Constitution (Subrace: Advanced Construct - via Living Machine)
- +1 Resolve (Culture: The Dyrwood)
- +1 Stealth (Class: Rogue)
- +1 Stealth (Background: Trapper)
- +2 Mechanics (Class: Rogue)
- +1 Mechanics (Background: Trapper)
- Sneak Attack (Class: Rogue)
- Living Machine (Subrace: Advanced Construct)
- Second Wind (Athletics > 1)
Devil of Caroc's initial skill, talent, and ability distribution depends on the level of the Watcher when she is first added to the party. The player is still free to distribute points into whatever skills, abilities, and talents they desire when a companion levels up, and they may be completely retrained at an inn. Devil of Caroc always starts at a minimum of level 2.
|2||4||0||0||5||0||Weapon Focus: Peasant|
Behind the scenes