The Dungeons of Caed Nua contain nine cells. Upgrading the dungeons will allow you to take prisoners during your travels.
These dark, foreboding cells were once the domain of prisoners and their wardens. Now they're mostly overrun by spiders, but can be restored to full functionality by a new master.
Points of interest
- The dungeons are reached by stairs in a room in the north corner of the main level. At the south-west corner is another set of stairs that leads to the Endless Paths of Od Nua. The area is lousy with spiders of a very broad variety.
- You can imprison people you capture on your travels here, although they may be able to successfully escape if the security in Caed Nua is too low.
Once you have restored the dungeons, you get the option to take certain characters prisoner during your travels. Usually, the way it works is that you have to fight them, and then, when their health is almost at zero, they initiate dialog asking for mercy, and you have the option to either finish them off or take them prisoner.
Note that if you take someone prisoner, they're immediately teleported to the Caed Nua dungeons, leaving behind the loot they'd have dropped if killed. If the loot doesn't appear after choosing to imprison them, leaving and re-entering the area will spawn it where they fell.
Two types of random events that can take place at the stronghold each turn, affect prisoners:
- Escape attempts: – A prisoner may try to escape. Your stronghold security rating determines how likely the escape attempt is to succeed. A prisoner who successfully escapes is gone forever.
- Visitor requests: – A visitor may appear who asks you to release one or all of your prisoners to them, usually in return for money:
- A distant relative offers 700 (one random prisoner).
- Geyda wants to conduct some experiments and will pay 200 for a subject (one random prisoner).
- At her first visit, Geyda will offer 500 (100 with Resolve 16) for all currently held prisoners together.
- Solmar the Shackler will pay 1,200 (one random prisoner).
- Patch 3.03 introduced more options with prisoners, such as selling them to various people who happen along. The average price is typically in the realm of 1,200.
List of qualifying characters
The following can be taken prisoner:
|Aefre||A street thug harassing prostitutes and clients of a brothel||Aefre is a member of the Dozens who organized a harassment campaign against patrons of the Salty Mast.||Ondra's Gift, Ramshackle House||Supply and Demand||, Fine Sword, Plate Armor|
|Ailef [WM1]||A run-away indentured servant wanted for homicide||In Stalwart, I encountered an indentured servant who had resorted to lethal measures in order to escape his servitude. I chose to imprison him at Caed Nua rather than leave him to the slave-catchers.||Stalwart – The Gréf's Rest||Overstaying His Welcome|
|Eorn||A wanted fugitive hiding from the Crucible Knights||Eorn was a fugitive wanted for the murder of one of the Knights of the Crucible. I found him hiding in the catacombs beneath Defiance Bay and chose to administer my own justice for his crimes.||Copperlane, Catacombs||Unwanted||, Fine Hide Armor, Rabbit Fur Gloves|
|Gramrfel the Wayfarer||A bandit who tries to kill and rob you (after returning from Defiance Bay)||Gramrfel and a group of death-fixated brigands attacked me as I traveled through Magran's Fork. He proved unprepared to meet his own death, and begged for imprisonment instead.||Magran's Fork||, Pistol, Fine Brigandine, Dead Man Stands|
|Kestorik||A Vithrack scout who tries to deny you passage||Kestorik was a scout for a population of vithrack inhabiting the Endless Paths of Od Nua. It asked for death, but I thought it better to lock it away in the dungeon.||Endless Paths of Od Nua Level 12||Emerald ×3, Vithrack Brain|
|Mercenary Captain Esmar||The leader of an illegal expedition into Glanfathan ruins||Captain Esmer found himself surrounded by Glanfathans while trespassing on their territory. The Glanfathans agreed to let him go if I took him prisoner.'||Northweald||At the Mercy of the Tribes|
|Naelde||A Leaden Key assassin who tries to kill you (at the start of chapter 3)||Naedle[sic] is an agent of the Leaden Key who sought to ambush me in Stormwall Gorge. After seeing that her cohorts were afraid to face me, she had second thoughts and surrendered.||Stormwall Gorge|
|Nyrid||A mage who has seized a drug dealer's business||I found Nyrid in Copperlane, a hired thug impersonating a svef dealer who owed a debt to his supplier. He was using the identity to sell svef and thereby recoup the supplier's losses.||Copperlane, Purnisc's House||His Old Self||, Nyrid's Grimoire, Wand, Fine Robe, Cape|
Behind the scenes
- This area contains developer commentary.
|“||Like many of the stronghold maps, the design of this area had to accommodate multiple sets of content. In this scene the players' introduction to the area is a spider-infested dungeon where a great deal of combat and stealth can occur. Later on, once the player unlocks the stronghold, the area serves as a dungeon where they can imprison various characters through their travels in which in and of itself offers its own reactivity for this particular scene.||”|
|~ Matthew Perez, Junior Designer