Durgan's Battery (quest)
|This article is about the quest. For the location of the same name, see Durgan's Battery.|
|Durgan's Battery [WM1]|
|The doors to Durgan's Battery.|
The White Forge
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
Save Stalwart[edit | edit source]
This is the quest that starts off the expansion quest-line The White March - Part I. After you've completed Never Far from the Queen in the base game, a messenger will ask to you to return to your stronghold Caed Nua. Do so, and speak with the Steward. She'll tell you that the village of Stalwart in the White March is asking for your help. Apparently, the retaking of Caed Nua has convinced Renengild, leader of the village, that you are the right person to talk concerning impossible tasks.
When you're ready, travel to Stalwart Village. You'll find it under attack by crag ogres. Make your way west, fighting through ogres along the way, until you reach the ogre commander Darzir. Kill him. This will cause any remaining ogres to retreat.
Save people from the burning hut[edit | edit source]
Nearby is a burning building with some villagers stuck inside it. If you want, you can intervene:
- Burning hut interaction:
- As soon as you enter the house a gust of smoke will come towards the character; if you have Survival 5 you will have the option to duck until it passes. With Constitution 15 it's possible to just weather the smoke.
- Following the above interaction, a beam will fall on you, you will need:
- In the hut, there is a man on the left and a woman on the right. In order to save both of them you need to go for the man first.
- To save the man, you need to be able to cast Rime and Frost Followed the Footfalls of Karth (available only if you passed the first Survival 5 check and have not inhaled any smoke), Winter Wind or Chill Fog.
- To save the woman, you need Might 20 to lift beam on her or use a prybar. At any point before you pick her up if your character has Resolve 14+ or Perception 14+, you may notice a ring on her finger which you have the option to steal (Frigid Claim). If you don't take the ring, you would only need to pass a (Constitution 11) check instead of (Constitution 12) check to save her.
- On the way out you will have to pass an Athletics 4 and a Constitution 12 check or else fail to save the woman.
In other words, in order to get the best possible outcome (saving both the man and the woman and getting the ring) the character would have to and will require:
- Avoiding the smoke when they enter (Survival 5);
- Notice the beam before it falls (Perception 14) and then run past it (Dexterity 10); OR rush past the falling beam (Dexterity 18);
- Save the man (on the left) first using one of the above spells;
- Turn towards the woman, notice the ring (Resolve 14+) and pick it up;
- Lift the beam on top of her using either a prybar or passing the (Might 20) check and then pick her up;
- When leaving pass an (Athletics 4) plus a (Constitution 12) check and not fall over to reach the exit.
Remember that consumables (scrolls, rites and food), resting bonuses and prostitute boons can help pass this difficult section. The man is Lurgolder and the woman Keydy. You'll be invited to have a drink at the tavern afterwards, to either drown your sorrows or celebrate the accomplishments.
Talk to the mayor[edit | edit source]
After you've saved the village from the ogre attack, talk to mayor Renengild in Renengild's House in the North-West of the map. She'll tell you about her desire to re-open Durgan's Battery (and its fabled forge) in order to help her village regain prosperity. She'll give you two additional main quests which you will have to complete first in order to gain access to the battery:
Visit Durgan's Battery[edit | edit source]
After you have completed both of those, travel to Durgan's Battery, and make your way to the large stone gate in the fortress wall in the North-West of the map. Clicking the gate will start a scripted interaction:
- Stone gate interaction
- The sequence to open the gate is as follows:
- [Option 1] [Place the anvil tile in the relief.]
- [Option 1] Hammers of Durgan, ring loud! May the anvil's deep music resound.
- [Option 2] [Strike the anvil relief.]
- [Option 2] Walls of the Battery safeguard our works from marauder and wilder alike.
- [Option 2] [Push the crenelated wall relief.]
- [Option 2] Abydon's faithful travail by the Forge and the fires that brighten the ore.
- [Option 1] [Examine the mouth more closely.]
- [Option 1] [Press the dragon's tongue to light a fire in the mouth.]
Once the gate is open, this quest completes and you automatically get the follow-up The White Forge.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Journal[edit | edit source]
|10000||A letter has arrived at Caed Nua, addressed to its new ruler. The Steward believes it may present an interesting opportunity.|
|40001||I've been called to the White March to find the White Forge, which is believed to be locked inside Durgan's Battery, a deserted dwarven fortress.
The White Forge was used to make legendary arms out of Durgan steel, and the villagers of Stalwart are hoping to rediscover this process. In addition, something in Durgan's Battery has seized the attention of the Leaden Key.
|1||Travel to Stalwart.|
|10001||The people of Stalwart have asked me to open up Durgan's Battery, a deserted dwarven fortress, and find the White Forge. Their mayor, Renengild, will probably have more information on the matter.
|2||Kill Darzir in Stalwart Village.|
|10002||I've reached the village only to find it embroiled in a desperate battle with ogres. If I kill the ogre leading the raid, Darzir, it should break the ogres' morale and cause them to retreat.|
|20000||In the middle of the fight, I saw visions of dwarves in battle alongside me. They had disappeared by the time we finished dealing with the ogres.|
|3||Speak with Renengild in her house.|
|10003||Renengild, the mayor of Stalwart, has summoned me to her house. No doubt she has additional information about Durgan's Battery and what I'll need to do to breach the keep.|
|20006||I met Taena, the elderly mine overseer. She's a bit senile, but her experience will be important if Stalwart is ever to establish itself as a mining town once more.|
|4||Find a way to unlock Durgan's Battery.|
|10004||Renengild told me that Durgan's Battery has been sealed shut since its original owners vanished over two hundred years ago. Stalwart has called many other adventuring companies to the area, but none have breached the fortress.
My task is more complicated than it initially seemed, but Renengild and her son gave me a couple of leads. They suggested that I speak with Galvino, an animancer and smith, and confront Matron Beregan, the leader of a local ogre clan.
|20001||Matron Beregan's clan has set up camp in ice caves near town. Renengild believes that Beregan killed the previous expedition - the Leaden Key group. If they found anything useful, Beregan would have it.|
|20002||Galvino lives near Durgan's Battery. Uldric believes he may know something useful... if I can convince him to help me.|
|20003||I retrieved an anvil-shaped tile from the remains of the Leaden Key expedition.|
|20004||I met Galvino, who believes that Durgan's Battery is alive with the souls of its previous owners. He explained that I'll need to learn the cantec of Durgan's Battery.|
|20005||Renengild has advised me to speak to the patrons at the Gréf's Rest. The innkeeper there can provide me with a hot meal and a place to rest.|
|20007||I met Taena, the elderly mine overseer. She's a bit senile, but her experience will be important if Stalwart is ever to establish itself as a mining town once more.|
|5||Open Durgan's Battery.|
|10005||I'm ready to enter Durgan's Battery. I have the relief fragment that the Leaden Key expedition found and the cantec that I learned in Stalwart:
"Hammers of Durgan, ring loud! May the anvil's deep music resound.
"Walls of the Battery safeguard our works from marauder and wilder alike.
"Abydon's faithful travail by the Forge and the fires that brighten the ore."
|6||Speak to the Steward.|
|10006||The steward has requested my presence at Caed Nua, as she has a matter of some importance to discuss.|
|30000||I opened the door to Durgan's Battery. I can finally search it for the White Forge - and any other mysteries within.|