The ossuary is a terrifying fragment of the Endless Paths. Apparently desiring to test the limits of body and soul, the Engwithans embarked on a journey of torture and mutilation. The chambers are filled with a variety of torture gear, including iron maidens, racks, crosses, and a frightening collection of tools for causing pain and suffering. The pits are filled with the bones of Od Nua's subjects, tortured to death in an orgy of murder, all in the pursuit of Maros Nua's soul.
- This is a large and somewhat arduous area. The large room to the northeast is filled with spikes that deal 10 damage every few steps (bypassing protection). The room contains minor loot (in the southeastern-most cage), a unique spear Danulya (on the impaled skeleton), and a small bronze key (in the cage closest to said skeleton), which can be used to open the locked cage in the northeastern corner, containing an old copper key. The key allows you to bypass the spike-filled area by unlocking the central chamber, a torture room with a banshee and several specters. Alternatively this door can also be opened with Mechanics 11 or above.
- Through that room lies a corridor leading deeper into the house of horrors, with a vithrack signaling the beginning of your struggle against the spiders. The adjacent hidden door, between a Gaze of the Adragan Trap and a Concussive Missiles Trap, is activated by using a hidden switch (revealed with Mechanics 9) in the circular engraving on the opposite wall, and contains the Broken Blade.
- The corridor slowly leads to the exit, weaving through two large confrontations with vithrack, beetles, and a variety of natural casters. The room with the spike pit contains the stairs down, while around the bend is the nest of the natural pestilences on this floor.
- The stairs to Level 10 can be found near the middle of the south edge.
- Danulya: A unique spear, on the impaled skeleton in the spike-filled room.
- Exceptional Great Sword: In a puddle south of the crystal room.
- Random weapon
- Random gem
- Random currency
- Random potion/scroll
- Random gem
- Random currency
- The player was originally supposed to find and destroy Engwithan machines to weaken a shade that would be located in the center and guard passage to the lower level. Apart from being a scripting nightmare, the area also lacked direction, making the encounters frustrating.
|“||The original design of this area is drastically different than what eventually made it into the game. We planned on having the area be quite open, with a large variety of paths to take. There were three engwithan machines scattered about, and each one of them was feeding souls to a shade in the center. Initially, the shade would me a monsterous encounter for the party to face. As the player would destroy each machine, the shade would get weaker and weaker, until it was a sizable challenge. We couldn't deliver on this sort of plan in the end, due to the area having too little direction, scripting being a general nightmare, and the lack of destructible environment. However, the idea did eventually fuel the redesign for level 7, where the final blight encounter would progressively get easier via use of old engwithan technology.||”|
|~ Ryan Torres, Design Intern