Eder's a veteran of the Saint's War, who fought for Dyrwood against St. Waidwen. He is convinced he and his brother fought on the same side, but rumors that circulate, rumors that say Woden fought for the opposing side, are making him question that conviction. Woden always knew which side to take and Eder acted accordingly, following his brother's lead.
So what if Eder was wrong about who his brother fought for?
- Acquire Edér as a companion in Gilded Vale. This can be done after speaking with Caldara de Berranzi during Visions and Whispers.
- Bring him along for the conversation with Maerwald.
- After talking to Maerwald, Edér will explain his doubts about his brother's intentions during the Saint's War. He decides the next logical place to look is the records department in Defiance Bay.
- Speak to the Records Keeper in the Ducal Palace in First Fires. If you have at least Friend (Somewhat Good) reputation in Defiance Bay he will give you access to the military records you need. Intimidating him with a Might 16 check will not cause him to yield the records, but also won't prevent you from getting them later when you have the requisite reputation.
- If you have at least 17 Perception, you will notice that the Records Keeper's accent is not native to Dyrwood, and he is likely from Readceras. This opens a Resolve 17 option to bypass the reputation requirement. At 19 perception, you also notice imprints of shackles on him; this opens a Lore 5 option.
- Travel to Clîaban Rilag. On the river in the east is a small camp at which you have to loot the Readceran standard piece.
- Have a cipher analyze the standard piece. This can be done by the player themselves if they're a cipher; by Lady Webb or Kurren in Hadret House; or by Grieving Mother. Alternatively, if you are without Grieving Mother and have progressed past Defiance Bay, you can have a Fangs Mind Hunter in Oldsong (located by the water and jetties on the Western side of the map) de-cipher it for you.
Post quest dialog
Once the quest is completed and you've rested once, Edér will have additional dialog. Your choice during this dialog can affect Edér's ending.
|→ "What would your brother have to say about that?"||+2|
|→ "You did what you had to. Even if Waidwen was Eothas, his actions were destructive."||-2|
|→ "It does seem like you put your faith in the wrong side. He'd have brought unity, even if it was by force."||+2|
|→ "Your mistake was in waiting for someone else to tell you what was right."||No change|
|0||Fragments of a Scattered Faith|
|10000||Edér has agreed to travel with me. He seemed to have some questions he thought a Watcher might be able to answer.|
|1||Bring Edér to speak with Maerwald.|
|10001||After telling Edér that I was headed for Caed Nua to see its lord, an old Watcher named Maerwald, he expressed that there were things he'd like to ask Maerwald as well.|
|20003||Maerwald was not in any condition to answer questions when we found him. Edér will have to decide how to proceed from here.|
|2||Travel with Edér to the records archive.|
|10002||Edér believes he may be able to find more about the circumstances of his brother's death in Defiance Bay. He suggested there might be records of the Saint's War in an archive in the ducal palace.|
|20000||The records keeper was unwilling to show us records from the Saint's War, citing concerns about vengeful Dyrwoodans hunting down Readceran refugees. He said things might be different were my reputation in the city stronger.|
|20004||I approached the records keeper, but the rioting just outside the palace had him preoccupied. I will have to wait for a better time.|
|3||Seek out the Saint's War battlefield with Edér.|
|10003||Edér's brother Woden fought for Readceras and died in a battle at Clîaban Rilag. He wants to see the battlefield.|
|4||Search the battlefield for signs of the Saint's War.|
|10004||Edér admits he isn't sure what he is looking for here. He is hoping for some sign of his brother's presence here that might provide a clue as to why he fought for Readceras.|
|5||Bring the battle artifact to a cipher.|
|10005||I found a steel ornament that once capped a standard of Readceras during the Saint's War. The object is useless by itself, but it is possible that in the hands of a cipher it could be more telling.|
|20001||Dunryd Row would seem to be a promising place to go, as its cipher agents specialize in this sort of work.|
|20002||With Dunryd Row no longer an option, I may have to look to Twin Elms for the help I need.|
|30000||We were able to confirm that Edér's brother Woden fought for Readceras, and had even met Waidwen himself prior to enlisting. But his actual reasons for doing so were lost. Edér will likely never know what inspired his brother to change his allegiance.|
|Failed, Edér killed|
|30001||Edér has died, and his concerns will be pursued no further.|
|Failed, no ciphers|
|30002||It is unlikely we will be able to find a cipher capable of reading the standard piece we found in Clîaban Rilag.|