Ondra's Gift is the poorest district in Defiance Bay, named as such due to the fact it was built on swamps drained by imperial engineers. Protected from the sea by a vast adra levee, the district is the beating heart of the city's economy and its gateway to the world. As such, it's filled with sailors, commoners, traders, thugs, and everyone else who stands to profit from all the commerce flowing to and from the city. The scars left by the War of Defiance have been covered well, but an entire section of the district remains flooded, the remains of buildings used as foundation for piers and quays.
The floods were deliberately engineered at the end of the War of Defiance, as one of the finishing blows to the Aedyran military. The whole district was supposed to be evacuated, but not everyone left in time and the Aedyrans put anyone they found to the sword. The lucky ones who escaped the slaughter drowned hours later when Hadret's forces broke the dams to eliminate the Aedyran military. Though much of the district was reclaimed, the sheer number of casualties led to the rise of numerous superstitions, particularly ones tied to the abandoned lighthouse.
Points of interest
- Ondra's Gift houses the public docks of Defiance Bay, along with the Salty Mast tavern/brothel and a defunct Lighthouse. Players can explore the shallows of the docks during the day, when the tide is low. At night, however, the tide comes in and it becomes impassable. For game purposes, day is between 6:00 and 18:00. Exploring the shallows is required for several quests, plus can bring a bit of plunder.
- The upper street is essentially the slum area of the Bay, where the refugees, junkies, and other unfortunates live. An Abandoned House is here, followed by Kolfecg's House, and another Abandoned House, before ending at the exit to Heritage Hill in the northwest.
- The middle section starts, from the west, with an unmarked house with some backer characters and Bragan standing nearby. Down the stairs is the Ramshackle House (locked), followed by the Vailian Trading Company warehouse and Pallegina. Just next to it stands Cartugo, the Vailian trader, while Imatl paces the dock just to the south. Further northeast across the bridge over the canal is Odda's House.
- To the southwest lies the Lighthouse Ruin, haunted by a banshee. After completing the associated quest, the lower level of this lighthouse becomes an inn, aptly named The Wailing Banshee. Further down on the docks is a young sailor named Marceno.
- Finally, to the east lies The Salty Mast, the local brothel and tavern. Curnd sets up shop at night in an alley to the northeast.
Some companions have a special comment upon visiting the docks of the district:
- Kana Rua: "A dozen Aedyran ships were shattered against these levees during the War of Defiance. Best to heed the astrologers, I find, where tides are concerned."
- Durance: "Place gets my blood beating, in all the right places."
- Grieving Mother: "So many spirits, yet so few... awakened."
During the first visit to the lighthouse, some of the companions have a comment to make:
- Aloth: "Niah's got her work cut out for her..."
- Durance: "A touch of Magran's fire should settle spirits here."
- Grieving Mother: "Beware the dead, like walking Hollowborn."
- Hiravias: "There's a smell in the air... damp, stale... bone and hair... makes my fur stand on end."
- Kana Rua: "I've a shiver won't leave my spine..."
- Sagani: "That woman expects people to sleep in a place like this?"
- Zahua: "I see dark ribbons of death floating in the water here. Old death. Decades past."
- Pallegina, a Vailian paladin and companion
- Bragan, a thug
- Imatl, the lone survivor.
- Marceno, a crewman with a problem.
- Niah, legal owner of the lighthouse.
- Waldr "Three Fingers" and "Lefty" Lisc, a pair of ruffians.
- Backer NPCs
- Asuna Haemiel
- Branwen Gwyne
- Jarreth Lexingtale
- Mors Somnus
- Omahdon McNeely
- Random food (Loot_Food)
- Random food (Loot_Food)
- Random drug (Loot_Drugs)
Behind the scenes
- This area contains developer commentary, triggered upon walking down the ramp near the northeastern exit.
|“||Every major city always has a seedy part of town, and so welcome to Ondra's Gift. For whatever reason, players always demand that there be a brothel, so we have one of those - The Salty Mast. Bobby Null is a bad, bad man...||”|
|~ Jeff Husges, Senior Designer