Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire is a party-based role-playing video game created by Obsidian Entertainment and published by Versus Evil. It is the sequel to the original Pillars of Eternity, and draws inspiration from Infinity Engine games (Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II, and Planescape: Torment). The game was successfully crowdfunded via a Fig campaign, raising a total of $4,545,395 from 33,614 backers and private investors.
The game was released on May 8, 2018 for Windows, Linux and macOS, and is currently available on Steam, GOG, Humble Bundle, Origin, and the Mac App Store. On January 28, 2020 it was released to console platforms PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Titled as Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - Ultimate Edition, the console version includes all expansions, updates and free DLC., It is available both digitally (via the associated store fronts) and physically, through a partnership with publisher THQ Nordic. The Nintendo Switch version is set to be released some time later in 2020.
- 1 Gameplay
- 2 Plot
- 3 Features
- 4 Release
- 5 Downloadable content
- 6 News
- 7 Development
- 8 Crowdfunding campaign
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Videos
- 11 External links
- 12 References
The game follows the events of Pillars of Eternity with the same main player-designed character. The game play location changes to the Deadfire Archipelago of the world of Eora. Players travel the far-flung region of the titular Deadfire Archipelago by ship, where they will discover new races, visit exotic islands, defend their ships against pirates, and, most importantly, choose their allies carefully, as there are powerful factions to encounter at nearly every port.
See the Pillars of Eternity gameplay article for an overview of the returning style of gameplay and its companion article for new elements.
|“||Hunt a god. Save your soul.||”|
|~ From the crowdfunding campaign wallpaper
|Spoiler warning: Significant plot details about Pillars of Eternity, part I follow.|
|Eothas has returned. The god of light and rebirth was thought dead, but he now inhabits the stone titan that sat buried under your keep, Caed Nua, for millennia. Ripping his way out of the ground, he destroyed your stronghold and left you at the brink of death. To save your soul, you must track down the wayward god and demand answers - answers which could throw mortals and the gods themselves into chaos.
Your hunt takes you to the Deadfire Archipelago. Located even farther east than the colonies of the Eastern Reach, Deadfire comprises hundreds of islands spanning thousands of miles - ranging from lush tropics to barren deserts. Many of these lands have never been charted, while others are inhabited by rich native cultures and a new wave of colonial settlers.
|Significant plot details about Pillars of Eternity, part I end here.|
- Character/Savegame import from Pillars of Eternity, part I
- Subclasses: each class can select from two sub-classes.
- Level cap: 20
- AI scripting customization
- Similar to Od Nua, an area growing with the number of backers: Fulvano's Voyage
- A new inventory slot for class-specific "trinkets"
- Weapons and shields may be assigned to multiple weapon sets
- Expansion of the skill system: many passive skills for dialogs and scripted interactions will be added – such as Religion, Metaphysics and Streetwise; points will be gained separately for active and passive skills; the player character will benefit from companions' skills
- Returning companions: Aloth; Edér; Pallegina
- New companions: Maia Rua, the sister of Kana Rua, with her ranger animal companion Ishiza; Serafen, an orlan cipher/barbarian, and a pirate; Xoti, a mixed human priest/monk; Tekēhu, an Aumaua godlike chanter/druid
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire was released on May 8, 2018 (exactly 1 year, 2 months and 13 days from the completion of the Fig campaign) on Windows, Linux and macOS, via Steam, GOG, Origin and the Mac App Store.
Czech-based developer Grip Digital was sub-contracted to develop a port to console platforms (Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One). The port would address adapting Pillars' traditionally mouse-based UI to work for touch and gamepad-based input, and would include a number of performance optimizations for the hardware. While the project was originally scheduled for completion in Q4 2018, it saw a number of significant delays. Upon the release of The Forgotten Sanctum in December 2018, Obsidian announced that the game would ship to consoles some time in 2019. However this was eventually pushed back on December 9, 2019, when publisher Versus Evil announced that the game would finally be coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on January 28, 2020, with the Nintendo Switch version following "later in the year." This comes almost 2 years after the original PC release. The announcement detailed that the console version will be distributed both digitally via the Microsoft Store, PlayStation Store, and Nintendo eShop, as well as physically through a partnership with publisher THQ Nordic. The physical release will come in the form of a Standard release and an Ultimate Collector's Edition, which bundles in a number of physical bonuses. As announced, the game was released to consoles on January 28, 2020.
On PC, Mac and Linux, three different editions of the game are available for purchase — Digital Standard, Deluxe, and Obsidian editions. These editions are only available on Steam and GOG, and provide additional digital and in-game content on top of the base game. The expansions, season pass, and the Explorer's Pack can also be purchased individually.
On consoles, the release is consolidated to a single "Ultimate Edition", including the base game and its expansions up to patch 5.0, but no digital bonus content. The console release also includes a "Ultimate Collector's Edition", which contains a few physical bonuses that were previously only available during the crowdfunding campaign.
|Features||PC / Mac / Linux||Console|
|Standard Edition||Deluxe Edition||Obsidian Edition||Ultimate Edition||Ultimate Collector's Edition|
|Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire (Base game)|
|Official Pillars of Eternity II Soundtrack|
|Special In-Game Item|
|PoE Pen and Paper RPG Starter Guide|
|High Resolution Game Map|
|Digital Guidebook Vol. II|
|Beast of Winter|
|Seeker, Slayer, Survivor|
|The Forgotten Sanctum|
Unlike the previous title, there are multiple free content packs planned for release to increase the game's longevity, as well as three paid downloadable content pieces. The latter are functionally similar to The White March expansion pack, but providing a greater variety of environments, stories, and gameplay.
Free content packs
- The first free DLC, Critical Role Pack, was released on May 9, 2018, alongside the launch of Deadfire and features new character portraits and voices from the web series Critical Role.
- The second free DLC, Rum Runner's Pack, was released on May 25, 2018, and adds the sidekick Mirke, a number of new alcoholic drinks, and the "Drunk" personality.
- The third free DLC, Beard and Hair Pack, was released on June 8, 2018, and adds 7 new hairstyles and beards, as well as the "Energetic" personality.
- The fourth free DLC, Scalawags Pack, was released on June 22, 2018, and adds a number of ship upgrades, 3 new crew members, and the "Savage" personality.
- The fifth free DLC, Deck of Many Things Pack, released on August 2, 2018 alongside Beast of Winter. It adds the ship The Deck of Many Things, and it's motley crew of merchants selling a variety of unique items.
- A number of Mega Boss Battles have been included as updates to the game alongside the releases of various expansions and DLCs:
- Mega Boss - The Crystal Empress, released on September 26, 2018 alongside Seeker, Slayer, Survivor. It adds the first mega boss, Belranga, as well as the Mythic quality to equipment.
- Mega Boss - The Voracious Mountain, released on October 25, 2018 as an update to Mega Boss Battles. It adds the second mega boss, Hauani O Whe - a mountainous ooze.
- Mega Boss - Sigilmaster Auranic, released on December 14, 2018 alongside The Forgotten Sanctum. It adds the third mega boss Sigilmaster Auranic.
- Mega Boss - The Helfire Colossus, released at the same time adds the fourth mega boss Dorudugan.
- The first expansion, Beast of Winter was released on August 2, 2018, and "takes the Watcher and their party to an island populated by a mysterious doomsday cult that hides an ancient secret. Players will get to experience adventuring in "The Beyond," a mysterious dimension populated by ancient souls and filled with devilish challenges".
- The second expansion, Seeker, Slayer, Survivor, was released on September 26, 2018, and "is a combat-focused expansion taking place on a previously undiscovered island that will challenge the martial prowess of your party, and your tactical skills as a commander, as you embark on a mission to rediscover ancient relics, and pit your party against Eora’s most skilled and savage".
- The third expansion, The Forgotten Sanctum, was released on December 14, 2018, and "will test your party’s allegiance and morality in a quest to help (or obstruct) the great wizards of Eora. Will you befriend, betray or befuddle these venerable mystics as you uncover secrets lost to the generations? The consequences of your actions will be felt across the Deadfire Archipelago whatever you decide."
- The Captain's Footlocker: Made available to crowd-funding backers and pre-orders of the game. Includes three in-game items St. Drogga's Skull, a pet seagull-looking bird Beakhead, and a Black flag.
- Explorer's Pack: Included with the Deluxe and Obsidian editions, and available for purchase separately. Includes a some in-game items (put in the player's inventory upon creation of a new game), and some digital content: Official Pillars of Eternity II Soundtrack, In-Game Pet, Special In-Game Item, PoE Pen and Paper RPG Starter Guide, High Resolution Game Map and Digital Guidebook Vol. II. The digital material can be found in the game directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Pillars of Eternity II\
- Pillars of Eternity Owner's Bonus: Gaun's Pledge: Given to all owners of Pillars of Eternity, adds the unique ring Gaun's Pledge to the players inventory on a new game.
- Scavenger Hunt: A promotional event on the Obsidian website. Involved finding 55 codes hidden throughout promotional media to unlock in-game items and special rewards. Includes Scavenger's Lantern, Stinky Pete, Cloak of Berath, Sails of Berath and Cutthroat Cosmo.
- February 1, 2018: The Backer Beta receives its monthly update.
- January 25, 2018: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire's launch date is announced: April 3rd, 2018. Pre-orders are available on Obsidian, GOG and Steam. Three editions are available: the base game, a Deluxe Edition with digital goodies, and the Obsidian Edition with the season pass added. Pre-orders will contain the Captain's Footlocker, an item bundle that will be made available for backers of the crowd-funding campaign as well.
- November 15, 2017: The Backer Beta is Live!
- September 21, 2017: Obsidian Entertainment and Versus Evil announce Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Publishing Partnership.
- February 25, 2017: Crowdfunding campaign successful with $4,407,598 and 33614 backers – PayPal available via the backer portal – Adam Brennecke says: "Thank You!"
|“||We all have to wake up.||”|
in the Campaign Launch Trailer
Current development stage: Production – During the "Production Stage", initial development of the software is underway and designs and characters are being brought to life.
- February 19, 2017: Companion relationships are in the game, due to reaching the milestone of $3,000,000!
- February 18, 2017: By reaching 25,000 backers, Fulvano's Voyage has been expanded again.
- February 17, 2017: $2.8M reached – 5,000 followers on Twitter: Fulvano's Voyage expanded – $3.25M stretch goal announced: sidekicks
- February 14, 2017: The next stretch goal is announced, together with the presentation of two new companions; for details see below.
- February 13, 2017: $2.6M are reached, Berath's Blessing.
- February 10, 2017: Information about visuals in the game and announcement (with video) of the next stretch goal; for details see below.
- February 9, 2017: The $2.4M mark is reached. In addition to the Korean localization and doubled voice-over the Pillars of Eternity Pen-and-Paper RPG is announced.
- February 7, 2017: Similar to the Stronghold from Pillars of Eternity a "backer-unlockable" is announced, the island chain Fulvano's Voyage, which will be expanded step-by-step with each additional 1,500 backers from today. Furthermore: some insights into game lore and the next stretch goal; for details see below.
- February 7, 2017: The next stretch goal is hit, the developers say "Grazie!" For details see below.
- February 2, 2017: The story continues; stretch goal #4 with $2,000,000 reached, and #6 announced; for details see below.
- January 31, 2017: Stretch goal #3 reached, #5 and further updates announced; for details see below.
- January 30, 2017: Stretch goal #2 is reached, one more revealed; for details see below.
- January 29, 2017: The next two stretch goals are announced; for details see below.
- January 28, 2017: The first stretch goal is reached, sub-classes are confirmed.
- January 27, 2017: The crowdfunding campaign reached it's goal of $1,1M in less than 24 hours. Stretch goals have been announced which will introduce further features to the game, with the first one – at reaching $1,4M – being Sub-classes.
- January 26, 2017: The backer campaign starts on Fig: Video Game Crowdfunding.
- January 26, 2017: Obsidian Entertainment announces the sequel in the official forum.
- May 16, 2016: Development on the game had begun by May, 2016. Feargus Urquhart has speculated that it will once again use Kickstarter to obtain funding.
The campaign launched on January 26, 2017 on the crowdfunding platform Fig, with a funding goal of US$1.1 million with US$2.25 million open for equity. The funding goal was achieved in under 23 hours. Over the remaining period, Obsidian raised a total of $4,545,395, made up of $2,157,598 of backer pledges, $2,250,000 from "Fig Funds" / private investors, and $137,797 of post-campaign preorder pledges. The campaign closed on February 25, 2017.
During the campaign, various goals were set which promised the addition content to the game upon reaching certain levels of funding.
|Goal||Reached on||Additional game features|
|$1,100,000||January 27, 2017||Localization for English, French, German; Multi-classing|
|$1,400,000||January 28, 2017||Sub-classes|
|$1,600,000||January 30, 2017||Localization for Russian; Level cap increase from 16 to 18|
|$1,800,000||January 31, 2017||Localization for Polish; 7th companion: Xoti, priest/monk|
|$2,000,000||February 2, 2017||Localization for Spanish; AI customization for the player and their companions|
|$2,200,000||February 7, 2017||Localization for Italian; UI customization; watercolored NPC portraits|
|$2,400,000||February 9, 2017||Localization for Korean; double the amount of voice-over|
|$2,600,000||February 13, 2017||Berath's Blessing: various bonuses when starting a new game|
|$2,800,000||February 17, 2017||Full orchestra soundtrack; Level cap increase to 20; more Sub-classes|
|$3,000,000||February 19, 2017||Expanded relationship features between companions|
|$3,250,000||February 22, 2017||Up to four sidekicks, voyaging with the player|
|$3,500,000||February 23, 2017||Localization for Portuguese; New ship upgrades|
|$3,750,000||February 25, 2017||Localization for simplified Chinese; New islands to explore|
|$4,000,000||February 26, 2017||New ship types to own and customize|
|$4,250,000||February 27, 2017||Intelligent talking soulbound weapon|
|$4,500,000||March 1, 2017||Ship crew - hire and manage a crew for your ship|
|$4,750,000||Cancelled||Sea monsters and fishing|
|$5,000,000||Cancelled||8th companion - adds Ydwin as a full companion|
Content, created by the backers
Partly limited, or made available again, backers can invest certain amounts and benefit from one of several goodies.
- Name a pet
- Create an item
- Portrait in-game
- Be an NPC
- Create a super-pet
- Create a spell
- Build a pirate party
- Create an inn
- Own an island
- Top backer (meet the team, amongst others)
- Obsidian Initiate ($5)
- Digital Download ($29)
- Premium Digital ($45)
- Physical Box ($59)
- Ultimate Digital Edition ($65)
- Complete Pillars Bundle ($79)
- Early Access + Credits ($99)
- Early Access + Credits + Box ($109)
- Collectors Edition ($149)
- Elite Collector's Edition ($199)
- Signed Elite Collector's Edition ($249)
|Features||Obsidian Initiate||Digital Download||Premium Digital||Physical Box||Ultimate Digital Edition||Complete Pillars Bundle||Early Access + Credits||Early Access + Credits + Box||Collectors Edition||Elite Collector's Edition||Signed Elite Collector's Edition||Higher tiers†|
|Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire|
|Pillars of Eternity I: Hero Edition + White March Part I and II|
|Tyranny 33%-off Coupon|
|Tyranny 50%-off Coupon|
|Special In-Game Item #1|
|Special In-Game Item #2|
|Digital material 1 *|
|Digital material 2 **|
|VIP Forum Badge|
|Gold Tier In-Game Credit|
|Early Access Beta|
|Backer created content|
|Physical Box Copy of Pillars II|
|Collectors Box (signed)|
|Physical material 1 ***|
|Physical material 2 ****|
|Space Pig Plushie|
Click "Expand" to show legend
- * Digital material 1 includes:
- Digital Guidebook Volume II
- Digital Soundtrack
- "Cooking with Tim, Vol. 1" Digital RPG Cookbook
- Pillars of Eternity Pen & Paper Starter Guide.
- ** Digital material 2 includes:
- High-Resolution Digital Map of the Deadfire Archipelago
- Additional Desktop Wallpapers
- 10 Pieces of Digital Concept Art
- Pillars of Eternity II Phone Backgrounds
- All-new Pillars of Eternity II Novella
- Collected Pillars of Eternity I Novellas Omnibus Version
- Pillars of Eternity Digital Deluxe Soundtrack (includes The White March OST)
- *** Physical material 1 includes:
- Cloth Map
- 8x10 Concept Art Print
- Space Pig Pin
- **** Physical material 2 includes:
- 10"/25cm Od Nua Statue
- Hardcover Guidebook Volume II
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Game Manual
- Promotional images from the crowdfunding campaign on Fig
- Official wallpapers
- See: Category:Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire images - Wallpapers
- Official trailers
- Official Q&A sessions
- Developer's corner
- The World of Eternity on Twitter
- Obsidian Entertainment's Twitter
- The World of Eternity on Facebook
- Obsidian Entertainment on Twitch
- Obsidian Entertainment on YouTube
- Pillars of Eternity 2: story, setting, companions and more - everything we know – Interview with Josh Sawyer on PCGamesN
- Pillars of Eternity - The RPG Files - Pillars of Eternity II: Welcome to the Deadfire - MMORPG.com – Interview with Josh Sawyer on MMORPG
- Obsidian announces Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire | PC Gamer – Article on PC Gamer
- Update #47 - Launch Day
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - Ultimate Edition Available Now on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One - Versus Evil
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Coming to Consoles January 28 - Versus Evil
- Obsidian Entertainment and Versus Evil Announce Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Publishing Partnership
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire on Steam
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire on GOG.com
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire on Humble Bundle
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire on Origin
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire on the Mac App Store
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire on the PlayStation Store
- Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire on the Microsoft Store
- Update #59 - The Forgotten Sanctum Release! on Fig "If you read our last update, we promised to have more information regarding Deadfire's console release. As we stated, our partners at Grip Digital have been hard at work, and Deadfire will be releasing on the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Nintendo Switch in 2019! We are pleased to also announce that the console edition will ship with all expansions, updates, and free DLC's included at launch! We don't have an exact date for you yet, but as soon as we have one, we will let you know"
- Crowdfunding campaign on Fig
- Josh Sawyer on Fig – "[…] At the start of Deadfire, you will have the option to import a special end of game save from Pillars of Eternity. This will import your Watcher and the choices that you made in the Dyrwood, including quest states, conversation choices, and how you personally dealt with your companions, friends, foes, and orlan babies. The save game is cross platform compatible […]"
- Josh Sawyer on Fig – "[…] During the introduction to the Deadfire, you will be able to establish choices from Pillars of Eternity as though you had played through the game. Importing the save directly is not a requirement for establishing story states."
- Update 1: We're Funded!
- Update 7: Multiclassing Details with Josh Sawyer!
- Josh Sawyer on Fig – "[…] Subclasses are similar to kits in 2nd Edition AD&D (featured in Baldur's Gate 2). Our focus has been to give a different flavor to a class through specialization. We want each subclass to do something cool and distinctive that also has a built-in trade-off compared to the base class and other subclasses. […]"
- Update 11: New Rendering Technology and a New Stretch Goal!
- Update 3: Level Up!
- Update 9: Fulvano's Voyage, Deadfire Lore, and Berath's Blessings!
- Frog Helms Fan Club – Any chance in PoE2 grimores could be made a little more interesting?
- Frog Helms Fan Club – I like the restricted inventory during combat and…
- Frog Helms Fan Club – In the first Pillars the character progression was…
- Grip Digital Portfolio Pillars of Eternity 2 - Porting from PC to PlayStation®4 , Xbox One and Nintendo Switch™
- THQ Nordic and Versus Evil sign exclusive distribution deal for Obsidian Entertainment’s Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire | THQ Nordic GmbH
- Announcement: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire releases on January 28th 2020 on PS4™ and Xbox One | THQ Nordic GmbH
- Update #53 - Beast of Winter Launch Day
- Update #56 - Seeker, Slayer, Survivor and Patch 3.0 Release Day!
- Update #59 - The Forgotten Sanctum Release!
- Scavenger Hunt - Official Site
- Introducing the Seafarer's Scavenger Hunt!
- Backer Beta Update 2 Patch Notes
- Launch Date For Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Announced, Pre-Orders Now Live!
- Update #42 - The Backer Beta is Live!
- Obsidian Entertainment and Versus Evil Announce Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Publishing Partnership
- Welcome to the Deadfire: Backer Beta!
- Crowdfunding campaign – Game info
- Update 15: $3 Million! A Mini-Update While We're Out
- Update 14: Just One Week Left! Our Big City: Neketaka, and a New Stretch Goal
- Update 13: All About Companions!
- Update 12: Berath's Blessing and Fulvano's Voyage Continues!
- Update 10: $2.4 M Hit! Double V.O., Korean, and... Pillars of Eternity Pen and Paper RPG!
- Update 8: Grazie! NPC Portraits Added to the Game and More!
- Update 6: Custom AI Scripting is in the Game!
- Update 4: Xoti Joins the Party!
- Update 2: Stretch Goal 1 Reached
- We're Funded!, on Fig – Posted: 01/27/2017
"We. Are. Funded! Thanks to the support of all of our backers, investors, and our wonderful community, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire has achieved and then exceeded its funding goal in less than 24 hours, exceeding all of our expectations. […]"
- We're Funded!, on Fig – "[…] But we're not done yet! Since we funded so quickly, there's still a long way to go,and we've got some awesome stretch goals available to help make Pillars II even better. First among these is sub-classes, which we'll reach at $1.4 M in funding. […]"
- Return to Eora. Welcome to Deadfire.
- Pillars of Eternity II is in development, acknowledges Obsidian’s CEO Feargus Urquhart
- A Look Into the Fig Physical Items