Nera is annoyed that her younger brother, Larro, missed an appointment. He is likely somewhere in Queen's Berth. Nera wants him found and returned to the Bardatto estate as soon as possible.
- Find Larro
- Larro Bardatto is found under the waterfall, engaged in a duel with Orso Valera. As this falls squarely under the category of what Nera would call "trouble", you should intervene. The quest is the first of several revealing the feud between the families. You have three options:
- Allow the duel to continue, resulting in the death of one of two participants. Without your intervention, Orso will kill Larro. Note that you can bet ten copper on one of the participants at the cost of minor negative reputation with Vailian Trading Company.
- Break up the duel and chase the group away at the cost of minor negative reputation with Vailian Trading Company:
- Propose an alternative with Diplomacy 3. Fighting to the first blood satisfies all parties.
- Note that these dialogs will lose you minor reputation with Vailian Trading Company:
- Observe the duel
- Before the duel start, you can:
- During the fight, you can assist either of the participants by insulting (Insight 2) or tripping their opponent (requires previously finding a better vantage point).
- If it's a fight to the death.
- Without your intervention, Orso will win.
- Assisting Larro lets him win.
- If it's a fight to first-blood.
- If you assist Larro, Larro will succeed in disarming Orso. At this point, Larro will normally win, but if you shout something, Larro will do as you say. Kicking the sword back to Orso (Athletics 2) will reverse the situation and Orso ends up killing Larro.
- Otherwise, Orso will succeed in disarming Larro. Orso, however, gets careless which leads to Larro killing Orso in a moment of desperation. If you intervene, Orso will normally win.
- For each intervention during the duel, you lose minor reputation with Vailian Trading Company.
- Intervening to stop the first-blood duel from ending in death does not cause a reputation loss.
- If no one dies, you gain minor reputation with Vailian Trading Company.
- Get your rewards
- If Larro lives, go back to the Bardatto Estate and talk to Nera Bardatto to claim your reward: 800 or 1,000 if you say you didn't do it for charity.
- If you assisted Larro during the scripted interaction (either by making him win, or try to stop Orso from killing Larro with Wizard/Paladin/Priest or Resolve 4), talk to Ezzali Bardatto to get a bonus of 1,000.
- Scripted interaction graphics
|0||Salt in the Wound|
|10000||Nera Bardatto is worried that her younger brother, Larro, might be getting himself into trouble.|
|40001||Two young men of the Bardatto and Valera families appear to have chosen the waterfall above Queen's Berth's adra mill as the site for a duel.|
|1||Find Larro Bardatto.|
|10001||Nera told me that her younger brother, Larro, missed an appointment. He is likely somewhere in Queen's Berth. Nera wants him found and returned to the Bardatto estate as soon as possible.|
|20000||Nera mentioned that Larro and his friends often carouse at the tavern, the southwestern bridge, and behind the district's waterfall.|
|2||Confront the duelists.|
|10002||I have come upon a duel between two young men from the Bardatto and Valera families. They don't seem to appreciate the interruption. If I intervened, I wager I could see this through to an interesting end.|
|3||Settle the conflict.|
|10003||I found Larro engaged in a duel with Orso Valera. This falls squarely under the category of what Nera would call "trouble." I could find a way to break up the scene, or at least get the fight over with.|
|30000||Someone critical to the completion of this quest has been killed|
|30001||The duel has ended with Larro Bardatto as the victor. He doesn't seem all that pleased with the victory, but he suggested I speak with his mother, Ezzali Bardatto, if I'm keen on work.|
|30002||The duel has ended with Orso Valera as the victor. He doesn't seem all that pleased with the victory, but he invited me to the Valera estate.|
|30003||I chased both young fools away from the waterfall. They may decide to try their luck again - but not while I'm around, I think. It would appear that I'm only seeing one layer of a much deeper and more nuanced conflict between families.|
|30004||In the duel between Orso Valera and Larro Bardatto, I have emerged the only victor. I doubt their families will be pleased.|
|30005||Orso Valera has emerged the victor in this duel, and Larro Bardatto's face is a little less pretty for it. No one was killed, and both parties seem satisfied. All in a day's work.|
|30006||Larro Bardatto has emerged the victor in the duel - and Orso Valera has a new dueling scar to remember his loss by. No one was killed, and both parties seem satisfied. All in a day's work.|