Located in an upscale part of Defiance Bay, the Charred Barrel is the watering hole of choice for the nobility of Brackenbury, converted from an old shipping warehouse. Ableheart Skerrion inherited it from his uncle who failed to pawn it off to his cousins after Brackenbury lost most of commercial traffic, and converted it into his retirement. He had a good instinct: It quickly became the most popular spot in Brackenbury, attracting even kith from other districts.
The tavern offers a variety of dishes and exquisite drinks. It vine offer is particularly rich, including vintages from tart Aedyran reds to sweet Rauatai summer wines. The more adventurous can opt for the infamous soul burn of the Deadfire Archipelago or the crystal-clear Naasitaqi and Glamfellen spirits. Conservative throats will be tickled pink by pale yellow and deep amber whiskeys from the Dyrwood and Living Lands respectively.
Points of interest
- The main room is where the neat and orderly dining tables are, complete with a stage in the background. The counter is off to the side with Ableheart Skerrion, the owner of the place. If you completed the side-quest Vengeance from the Grave by letting Nonton and Ingroed go, then you will later find them as employees here.
- Back through the kitchen you can reach the basement, with a group of non-hostile bandits conferring.
- Up the stairs are the rooms, with Maerwith and her group of pirates.
- Ableheart Skerrion, the owner.
- Ingroed and Nonton, who appear here if you let them go during Vengeance from the Grave.
- Maerwith, a pirate leader upstairs.
- Thristwn, a Glanfathan expatriate, will ask for help retrieving an amulet.
- Backer NPCs
- Hannah Oirakos
- Illyana Reanaux
- Mort du Jest
|Criminal's Getaway||2 rests||150|
|Noble's Stay||2 rests||170|
Behind the scenes
- This area contains developer commentary
|“||The original layout for The Charred Barrel had a central courtyard with a garden. Unfortunately the exterior of the building didn't match and we didn't have time to make changes, so we had to remove the courtyard and make the building smaller. Being located in the rich part of town, the inn is much more upscale than any of the others in the game.||”|
|~ Denise McMurry, Level Designer