One of the most popular destinations in the entire Defiance Bay, The Salty Mast offers something for the body as well as... Well, it's all body, but it's the right kind of body.
Points of interest
- This is a two-story location. The lower level is generally accessible and contains the bar, kitchen, and offices, as well as a plethora of characters.
- On the second floor of the brothel, there is a members-only lounge of a group calling themselves the "Club of Refined and Prestigious Gentlemen". A bouncer, Becke Ordoe, blocks the door. In order to gain entrance peacefully, talk to the Older Drunkard on the first floor. Inside the lounge you can meet two members of the club, Jaesun and the merchant Vincent Dwellier.
Some companions have a remark upon entering the Mast:
- Aloth: "Over-fried cod, watered ale, and prostitution. A bastion of Dyrwoodan culture."
- Eder: "Nothing like this in Gilded Vale. Just Walaruna, the milkmaid. She knew what she was doing."
- Durance: "Now to find a home for my other staff."
- Kana Rua: "I hope you aren't expecting to find the Leaden Key in here."
- Sagani: "Visit new lands, see the sights. I do love travel."
- Hiravias: "I dare you to ask them how much it would cost for two ladies. At once. And willing to copulate with a giant cat. If the answer is less than a thousand pand, I'm in."
- Grieving Mother: "This place... it stills your mind and distracts you."
- Zahua: "I need to make some new scars for even thinking these thoughts."
- Devil of Caroc: "Wish I'd brought an oil can."
- Maneha: "Dibs! On all of it."
Companions also comment if the Watcher asks Maea about the place:
- Grieving Mother: "So many minds here... filled with lust, gaiety... but also with worry, heartache, terror..." She looks around at the talking, laughing, drinking crowds. "These rooms have been filled by despair at the Hollowborn as much as by anything else..." Her gaze returns to Maea. "A shame that one would so readily profit from it."
- Maea, the owner
- Llines "Two-Lips", the bartender
- Big Durmsey, Gjefa and Orico the dancers on the lower floor
- Oly, a drunkard found if The Final Act is active.
- Weyd, the drinking father
- Captain Pepperjack
- Ten Lui
- Older drunkard
- Aldwyn, Iqali and Lyrinia the dancers on the upper floor
- Vincent Dwellier, exclusive shop merchant
|The Common Room||
|Shiny Pearl||2 rests||
|Broad Beam||2 rests||
Sleeping with any of the prostitutes in the brothel confers an additional boon, but to the player only. This bonus stacks with other resting bonuses and can be useful if trying to succeed in a difficult attribute check, though resting with or without bonus after having slept with a prostitute removes the boon.
The prices are determined as follows:
- If you completed Supply and Demand for innkeeper Maea you get the discount price.
- If the Watcher's Dexterity is at least 19, you will get money back.
- If Aldwyn took the place of Serel after Far from Home his discounted cost is doubled to 400, with Dexterity 19+ he gives back only 200.
- Otherwise you have to pay the normal price.
- If both the Watcher's Constitution and Dexterity are at least 19, you will be able to seduce one of them to work for as a hireling at Caed Nua.
- Courtesan working in your chamber in Brighthollow will not provide you boons anymore (known issue), however will provide +2 Prestige if hired.
- Seduced courtesan will no longer appear in Salty Mast (as was the case in earlier versions of the game.)
- You can recruit only one courtesan, afterwards this option becomes unavailable.
- Serel can't seduced.
|Name||Granted bonuses||Duration||Cost||Discount cost|
|Aldwyn||1 rest||600||200 (400 if he replaced Serel after Far from Home)|
|Big Durmsey||1 rest||500||100|
- Stolen Engwithan Medallion, Serel's Ring: Looted from Serel, or obtained as a reward for Far from Home
- Exceptional Rapier: Carried by Vincent Dwellier in the CRPG upstairs.
Behind the scenes
- Some of the content in this inn was created as a backer reward for the RPG Codex community.
- The initials of the "Club of Refined and Prestigious Gentlemen", as well as the emblem on its Membership Ring, build the abbreviation CRPG, a common term for computer role-playing game.
- In dialog and as location on the map, the club is named "Club for Refined and Prestigious Gentlemen".
- The inn was originally called "The School", and it had a fighting pit. Though this was scrapped and a larger upper floor was added to give more space for the brothel workers.
- This area contains developer commentary:
|“||The Salty Mast went through quite a few revisions during development. Originally it was named "The School" and had a fighting pit. This was removed in favour of a second floor and more space for the brothel workers. We also made sure that there were many flavors and varieties of brothel workers to choose from. I also made sure you get bonuses depending on whose services you choose to partake of, and I added some other extras regarding the brother workers that the player should enjoy. Overall I probably spent way too much extra time working on The Salty Mast.||”|
|~ Denise McMurry, Level Designer