|Outcomes & Rewards|
Destroy the machine
Turn off the machine
Never Far from the Queen
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The Acolyte showed the Watcher a vision of an ancient tower in a derelict district of Defiance Bay. There was a strange man in the tower working on some kind of machine. There was also a woman with a scar over her heart. She may hold the key to whatever happened there. The Leaden Key was interested in this tower for a reason. The Watcher needs to understand what it does if they are to figure out their plans.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
You automatically get this quest after you complete Never Far from the Queen.
- Head to Heritage Hill, which is accessible from the First Fires district. The gate will be locked and the guards will tell you to speak to Wyla at the Crucible Keep back in First Fires.
- There are several dialogue options that enable you to bypass this, such as bribing the guards.
- Alternatively, you can speak to Wyla before going to Heritage Hill to avoid back-tracking.
- Once in, make your way to the tower, located in the SW corner of the map.
- Talk with Aldhelm at the top level, who will tell you to speak with Icantha. He will also ask you to send him something tasty, and promises to show you a trick if you do.
- Exit the tower and proceed to Icantha's house, which is directly north of the tower.
- Speak with Icantha and convince her to share her knowledge of how the tower works.
- Optional: Free the prisoners in the back room of Icantha's house.
- If you have cleared the undead from Heritage Hill, you can free them for a Defiance Bay: Minor Positive reputation bump.
- Or, you can trick them into going to the top of the tower where Aldhelm will feed on them. Alternatively, you can trick Saeda to the same end, if you haven't completed Safe Haven.
- If you sent Aldhelm something to eat, he teaches you how to absorb all the souls from the machine. Doing so gives your main character the talent Gift from the Machine (+1 might, +5% maximum endurance), increases your Cruel reputation, and gives you Defiance Bay: Moderate Positive.
- This talent carries over to Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire, and will be granted by completing the main quest A Distant Light on Hasongo. The effects are the same.
- Return to the tower and choose a resolution:
- Turn the machine off. Gives Defiance Bay: Major Positive
- Overload the machine. Gives Defiance Bay: Extraordinary Positive.
- Note: How you choose to deal with the machine affects the end-game slides for Defiance Bay.
Reward[edit | edit source]
Journal[edit | edit source]
|10000||The Acolyte showed me a vision of an ancient tower in a derelict district of Defiance Bay. There was a strange man in the tower working on some kind of machine. I also saw a woman with a scar over her heart. I don't know where she is, but I suspect that she holds the key to whatever happened there.
The Leaden Key was interested in this tower for a reason. I need to understand what it does if I'm to figure out their plans.
|1||Enter the tower in Heritage Hill.|
|10001||The tower I saw looms above the walls surrounding Heritage Hill. I hope to find the next piece of the puzzle there.|
|20000||The guard at the gate to Heritage Hill said I'd need special permission from Wyla at the keep in First Fires to enter.
Of course, a hefty application of coin or violence might also convince him to let me in.
|20006||I've found the pale woman from the acolyte's vision, but she is uninterested in helping me. Perhaps finding the man from the vision will give me better insight as to how to deal with her.|
|2||Get to the top of the tower in Heritage Hill.|
|10002||The Acolyte's vision didn't prepare me for what I've found here. The whole district is crawling with reanimated corpses. Fighting my way to the top of the tower - and whatever awaits me there - won't be easy.|
|3||Find out how the Engwithan machine in Heritage Hill works.|
|10003||I've found an ancient machine at the top of the tower. And, just as the Acolyte showed me, there's someone else up here.
He may be able to tell me more about what happened here.
|20001||I've killed the gul that I saw at the top of the tower in the Acolyte's vision. I think he was trying to figure out how to operate the Engwithan machine. He obviously hadn't cracked it yet, but he may have something that can give me a chance.|
|10004||I need to speak with Icantha in Heritage Hill. She apparently knows something important about the tower, which may be my key to understanding the Leaden Key's objectives.
That would explain why the Acolyte was worried about this woman.
|20004||Aldhelm, the devolving animancer atop the tower, promised to show me a way to strengthen myself if I get the command words from Icantha and a source of sustenance for him.|
|6||Deal with the Engwithan machine.|
|10006||Now that I can understand the Engwithan language, I can return to machine at the top of Teir Nowneth and do something about the curse affecting Heritage Hill.|
|20005||Aldhelm has degenerated significantly - he looked ready to pounce on me when I tried to talk to him. If I want his help, I'll need to send a victim to him.|
|7||Find the tower.|
|10007||The Leaden Key acolyte showed me an ancient tower near a cemetery in a neighborhood filled with run-down estates.
Following this lead will require locating the tower. Asking around would be a place to start, perhaps among the patrolling justiciars who would know the city well.
|30000||I learned that the Engwithan machines across the Dyrwood can be used to move souls. I also learned Engwithan, which means I can now operate them. I turned the machine atop Teir Nowneth off, which means that the souls in Heritage Hill can be returned to the cycle.|
|30001||I learned that the Engwithan machines across the Dyrwood can be used to move souls. I also learned Engwithan, which means I can now operate them. To prevent the machine from ever being used again, I sacrificed the trapped souls of Heritage Hill to destroy the machine.|
|30002||I learned that the Engwithan machines across the Dyrwood can be used to move souls. I also learned Engwithan, which means I can now operate them. I used this machine to absorb the power of the souls stuck in Heritage Hill.|